I recently got into the awesomeness of coconut oil and thought I’d share some ideas on how to use this amazingly versatile oil in and around your home this summer! So here are my top 10 summer uses for coconut oil:
- Pre-sun care: Rub a small amount of coconut oil on exposed skin before heading out in the sun. Coconut oil has a natural SPF of 4 and is a great antioxidant! Remember to practice safe sun-care by avoiding direct exposure during peak hours, especially for young children.
- Post-sun care: Sometimes we inadvertently get a little too much sun, and our skin turns a bit red. Coconut oil’s moisturizing properties are perfect for parched, sunburned skin! Just rub it on several times a day to keep the skin moisturized and prevent peeling. It’s also a great all-purpose body lotion too!
- Bug bites and Cuts: Although prevention is key, it’s almost impossible to spend an entire summer outdoors without succumbing to those pesky, itchy bug bites, or the occasional cuts/scrapes. Applying a thin layer of coconut oil will protect and prevent the area from being exposed to dirt and bacteria, and can stop the itching sensation.
- Insect repellant: Mix some coconut oil with either peppermint, tea tree, or rosemary essential oils, and apply to your skin to help ward off mosquitoes and other summer insects!
- Dry/Damaged hair: All that salt water and chlorine can really take a toll on our hair! Put coconut oil in your hair before you jump in the pool or hit the beach, for some extra moisturizing protection – just rub a small amount between your palms and work into your hair, focusing on the roots and tips.
- Shaving: Ditch the chemicals in your store-bought shaving cream, and use coconut oil instead! It works as a shaving cream and a post-shave moisturizer.
- Lip moisturizer: Don’t forget about your lips this summer! In addition to protecting our skin from the sun, our lips need a little TLC as well; so just rub a tiny dab onto your lips before heading out for the day!
- Smoothies/Shakes: Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to your smoothies for extra nutrition and immune-boosting properties! Just be sure to melt it first and add it in a slow stream, to prevent clumping.
- Deodorant: Stave off the summer heat funk by either rubbing a small amount onto your underarms, or try making a homemade deodorant stick with all natural ingredients!
- Body Scrub: For extra healing properties, mix some coconut oil with sugar or sea salt to create a moisturizing and exfoliating body scrub.
What’s your favorite way to use coconut oil?
Latest posts by Sarah UmmYusuf (see all)
- These Natural Soaps Are Actually Saving Endangered Species! - June 30, 2016
- Health Benefits of Rhodiola Rosea - June 15, 2016
- Adaptogenic Herbs for Stress, Energy, and Better Sleep - June 14, 2016