Whole Wheat Banana Chunk Waffles5
Mmm Mmm Mmm, I think I’ve out-done myself this time! I finally settled on an awesome basic waffle recipe last month, and now that I’m comfortable with it, I’ve decided to venture out and start experimenting with different additions – and I think we’ve found a winner!
Did I mention that I love bananas? If you read my cakey banana bread post, you know bananas are my all-time favorite fruit. So of course I tried adding them to my already yummy waffle recipe and it was a huge hit!
What makes these waffles so amazingly delectable is the chunks of banana bits baked right into the waffle. I didn’t mash them up or anything – just sliced them thinly and dropped them right into the batter. What you get is warm, gooey banana pockets that just melt in your mouth – Yum-O!
I only use whole wheat flour in all my baking so this a 100% whole wheat recipe; and there’s just a tablespoon of sugar in there, but I think you could even cut that down or just remove it completely if you wish. I also added a little cocoa powder and cinnamon for just an extra hint of yum factor
The recipe is so easy and simple too! Just throw everything into a big bowl and beat with a hand mixer until just combined – don’t overmix the batter, you want to keep the banana chunks in there. Then pop it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to let it settle while you heat up the waffle iron, and you’re on your way to tasty, crispy-on-the-outside, warm and gooey-on-the-inside banana chunk waffles.
They freeze really well too! I make the whole batch at once and then freeze the leftovers – just pop them in the toaster for a few minutes and they’re good to go! Move over, Eggo waffles – homemade is so much better!
I like to top them off with some sliced bananas, a drizzle of honey, and a dusting of cinnamon and powdered sugar.
EDIT: I make these waffles almost every weekend, if not every other weekend – They’re Mr. Nurture’s favorite! Our new favorite ingredient to add to the batter is shredded coconut flakes! So I’ve edited the recipe to reflect this addition. We also love to top them off with some sliced strawberries and our homemade dandelion syrup, when we have some on hand. It’s seriously the best combination ever!
|Whole Wheat Banana Chunk Waffles||
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Topping: sliced bananas and/or strawberries, honey/syrup, cinnamon, powdered sugar
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl, and slowly mix by hand to combine wet and dry ingredients.
- With a hand mixer on low, beat until just combined, about 1-2 minutes. Don’t over-mix! You want the banana chunks in there!
- Put into the fridge for 5-10 minutes and preheat waffle iron.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with cooking spray and pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.
- Serve hot, topped with banana/strawberry slices, honey/syrup, cinnamon, and powdered sugar.
Latest posts by Sarah UmmYousef (see all)
- Homemade Air Fresheners: Essential Oil Reed Diffusers - May 17, 2013
- How to Use Chlorella: Nature’s Multivitamin - May 13, 2013
- Please Vote for Nature’s Nurture in Top 25 Eco-Friendly Moms! - May 10, 2013