Dandelion Greens and Buds Baked Omelet2
I’m a huge fan of eggs, especially loaded with veggies and scrambled or made into omelets. Baked omelets are so easy; you just sautee all your veggies, dump the egg on top and pop it in the oven. Done! So when looking for a new way to incorporate some dandelions into our meals, I knew we had to try them in our morning eggs – and I’m so glad we did!
I woke up earlier then Mr. B and Baby Y, headed out to the backyard and picked some fresh dandelion greens and closed flower buds. I’m not one to measure ingredients (it’s bad, I know!), but here’s a picture of how much I picked for our 2-person omelet: a small bunch of greens and about 20-30 unopened flower buds.
Mr. B is not as big a fan of eggs as I am, so his eggs have to be loaded with as many veggies as possible, to mask the egg taste So, this became a loaded spring veggies omelet – fine by me! I chopped up some onions, mushrooms, celery, and asparagus. Again, no measurements, really…
I sauteed the greens and flower buds until they were soft…
Then added the rest of the veggies and cooked until they were nice and tender.
Then I beat the eggs with some milk and seasonings, dumped them over the veggies, and topped with some shredded cheese.
I popped it in the oven for about 10 minutes, and voila – Baked omelet!
I love my eggs with bread – scrambled eggs with toast, and omelets with pita bread – so I warmed up a pita and went to town on this thing!
This recipe was part of a series on cooking with dandelions, view other recipes in this series here: Dandelions: Friend or Foe (With Recipes!)
|Dandelion Greens and Flower Buds Baked Omelet||
- 1 small bunch dandelion greens, coarsely chopped
- 20-30 unopened dandelion flower buds
- 1 asparagus spear, chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium mushrooms, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and drain dandelion greens and buds. Heat oil in oven-proof skillet on medium heat, and sauté dandelions until just soft. Add the rest of the vegetables, and continue to sauté until tender and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper, and parsley.
- Pour eggs over vegetables, top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.