I love yogurt and I really love cheese – so it’s no wonder that one of my favorite go-to breakfast ingredients is Labnah (or Arab Cream Cheese). It’s kind of like a cream cheese but with the distinct sour note of yogurt. It’s great as a topping on breads and bagels, used instead of mayo on your sandwiches, or as a tasty dip with toasted pita bread.
It’s SO easy to make and way tastier than the store-bought kind, which can also be a little pricey! Like seriously, it’s way too easy to make!
What You Need:
- 1 quart of your favorite organic yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Straining cloth (ie: a few layers of cheesecloth, or I just use a men’s undershirt)
- Bowl or Pot to hold the colander
- Small container with lid
- Olive Oil
What To Do:
- Mix the salt into the yogurt and stir it very well
- Layer the rest of the items like this: Bowl/Pot – Colander – Straining Cloth (Make sure there’s enough room between the bowl and colander for the liquid to collect
- Pour the mixed yogurt into the straining cloth, making sure it all stays in the cloth
- Cover the yogurt. Either tie the straining cloth or just fold it over, making sure all the yogurt is covered
- Put it in the fridge overnight. I like to keep it for at least 24 hours, but the longer you keep it in there, the thicker it will be.
- Take it out of the fridge and uncover to reveal your fresh, creamy batch of Labnah!
- Scoop out your labna and put it in the container and drizzle some olive oil over the top to help preserve it.
- When you lift the colander, you’ll find a clear liquid in the bottom – this is the whey that separated from the yogurt (Ahh, so that’swhat the Ms. Muffet rhyme was all about!). Do not throw this away! It’s packed with nutrients and can be used in place of milk/water in recipes for biscuits, breads, soups and rice!
Til next time,
Latest posts by Sarah (see all)
- Banana, Granola & Peanut Butter Waffles (And a Giveaway!) - December 31, 2015
- Natural Cold & Flu Care with Maty’s Healthy Products - November 19, 2015
- Natural Ways to Get a Better Night’s Sleep - November 12, 2015