Are you on Pinterest? Oh my goodness, I’m addicted to Pinterest. I just love it – it’s my refuge into my own little world on the web. And it’s become the main source of inspiration for this blog! One of my Pinterest boards is called “Things to Try (…and blog)” and that’s where I’m collecting ideas for future blogs. So I always get excited when I get to check something off of my list, like today’s post about making homemade ice cream!
The weather is warming up, Spring has sprung, and everyone is a little cheerier, now that the winter slump is behind us. So of course I jumped at the first opportunity to try to make some homemade ice cream…and it was so easy and kind of fun! I found this post on Pinterest, and apparently the original idea came from a family magazine. Making homemade ice cream is almost as exciting as making butter in a glass jar – maybe even more 🙂
Of course, this is still ice cream we’re talking about here; so just because it’s homemade, doesn’t mean we can eat it every night of the week. But it’s great to know that we’re only a few easy steps away from whipping up a quick batch when we’re in the mood for a treat 🙂
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup half & half (or light cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarse salt or table salt
- gallon-sized Ziploc bag
- pint-sized Ziploc bag (sandwhich size)
What To Do:
- Mix the sugar, half & half and vanilla extract together. Pour into a pint-sized Ziploc baggie and seal it tightly. I just placed the bag into a measuring cup to make it easier to handle.
- Fill up the gallon-sized Ziploc bag halfway with ice and pour the salt over the ice.
- Place the cream filled bag into the ice filled bag and seal.
- Make sure it is sealed tightly and start shaking. Shake for about 5-8 minutes. Open the gallon-sized bag and check to see if the ice cream is hard, if not keep shaking. Once the ice cream is finished, quickly run the closed pint-sized baggie under cold water to clean the salt off the baggie.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the fruits of your labour!
Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! 🙂
Latest posts by Sarah UmmYusuf (see all)
- These Natural Soaps Are Actually Saving Endangered Species! - June 30, 2016
- The Herbs and Essential Oils Super Bundle! - June 22, 2016
- Health Benefits of Rhodiola Rosea - June 15, 2016