Nothing says summer like some nice, refreshing popsicles! But the store-bought stuff is filled with artificial flavors, preservatives, and other processed ingredients that make it a little hard to truly enjoy your popsicle without the guilt. So today I’m sharing my super easy recipe that’ll have your family cooling off in this heat with homemade fruit popsicles in no time…and guilt-free!
Not only are homemade popsicles free from all the “extra” nasty stuff, they’re also totally customizable since you can pick and choose your favorite flavor combinations! My current favorite is strawberries and a little bit of mango.
So what do you need to make homemade popsicles?
Well, besides fruit of course, you’ll need a sweetener, some lemon juice, and a little bit of liquid (water, juice, milk, etc.). Then of course, you need some popsicle molds. You can find molds at pretty much any local general store or the dollar store. I picked up my set on clearance at Target, but after using them a few times, I’ve learned that you really get what you pay for.
I’ve just ordered this set online from Amazon and can’t wait for them to come in! What you really want in a popsicle mold is 2 things: first, that the sticks themselves have a few holes in them so the popsicle actually holds on to them rather than falling off; and second, that the molds themselves are separated, not all in a single tray, which makes taking out just one or two popsicles much easier.
Now, onto the recipe!
Choose any fruits or fruit combinations you like. Summer fruits like berries and watermelon make great popsicles so experiment to find your favorite flavors. Fresh, in-season produce is great, but frozen fruit works just as well. Adding a little bit of sweetener is completely optional, but it does help bring out the natural flavors of your fruits. I like to use some natural or raw honey, but you can use sugar, stevia, or your sweetener of choice.
You may choose to add some liquid to your recipe or not, but if you’re using frozen fruits, I find that adding a little bit of water or juice to the blender helps them blend up nice and smooth. Adding some milk or yogurt will give you a nice, creamy popsicle. If your fruits are fresh and already pretty juicy, you may not even need the extra liquid.
Finally, adding a little lemon juice adds a nice, tangy zing to your popsicles. Our family loves it, but you could totally leave this out if you want.
Then, you’ll just throw everything in the blender and blend it up until it’s nice and smooth, like a thick smoohie. Enjoy and get creative!
Have you made homemade popsicles before? What are your favorite flavor combinations?
- 2 cups fruit (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (or sweetener of choice)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional
- 1/4 cup water, juice, milk or yogurt (more or less to achieve smoothie-like consistency)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until nice and smooth in texture, like a thick smoothie.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to eat, run popsicle molds under warm water for about 30 seconds to loosen the popsicles so they slide out easily.
- This recipe makes about 6 popsicles, so feel free to double the recipe!
Latest posts by Sarah UmmYusuf (see all)
- Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution & Spray - October 17, 2017
- Non-Toxic Carpet Stain Remover Guide - October 15, 2017
- This Homemade Floor Cleaner Doubles as the BEST All-Purpose Cleaner! - August 19, 2017