You’ve heard of the commercial product called Vitamin Water, right? They come in all sorts of colors and flavors, and the producers (a subsidiary of Coca-Cola – ughh!) claim a whole list of health benefits from this magical water. Well, there’s been recent controversy over those claims, so what you’re really left with is essentially an overpriced bottle of colored, sugar water. Nothing healthy about that. But you know what is healthy? Making your own at home, of course!
I’d seen this idea passed around Homesteading/Survivalism’s Facebook page (awesome page!) a few months ago and thought it was really neat! I filed it away in the back of my mind and pretty much forgot about it, really.
Then last month, when we were visiting family down in Florida, my mom and I went to visit some friends, and my dear friend, Maram, made these gorgeous looking fruit-infused water coolers with strawberries, lemons and limes.
They were so tasty and refreshing, and were a nice change from just plain water. Not to mention how beautiful they looked on the table!
I quickly snapped some pictures because I knew I had to share them with you all! They’re so easy to make and so customizable! I’ve included some links below with more info on the health benefits of real vitamin water (as opposed to the commercial stuff, which isn’t really vitamins or water), as well as some great flavor combinations you can try.
- 1 quart filtered water
- 1-2 cups fruit/veg (ie: strawberries, oranges, watermelon, cucumber, etc.)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh herbs (ie: mint, rosemary, lavender, etc.)
- Slice fruit into very thin slices and add to a large pitcher.
- Lightly smash them with a wooden spoon to help release their juices.
- Gently bruise the herb leaves and add to the pitcher.
- Add ice, then fill pitcher with water.
- Allow to infuse for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Water will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For more tips and some great flavor combinations, check out these links:
Want more recipes like this to help you detoxify your food, home, body, and medicine cabinet?My friends and I got together and published a step-by-step guide to help you Detoxify Your Life! Click here to get your copy and be on your way to a healthier you today!
Latest posts by Sarah UmmYusuf (see all)
- The Ugly Truth About Your Homemade Laundry Soap – And What You Can Do About It - November 8, 2016
- How (and Why) You Need to Strip Your Laundry After Using Homemade Laundry Soap - October 22, 2016
- The ONE Simple Thing You Need to Do to Create a Non-Toxic Home - October 4, 2016