You’re feeling overwhelmed right now, aren’t you. You feel like there’s so much to do, so little time, and you don’t even know where to start.
You know you need to rid your home of harmful, toxic chemicals, but you’re stuck on where to go from here.
Do you really have enough time to make all of your home and body care products?
What about the non-toxic products at the store? Why do they have to be so expensive? Who can even afford that stuff?
I hear you.
I felt the same exact way when I first started this journey. And you know what? I still have days like that where I just feel like throwing in the towel and calling it a day.
But I’m going to let you in on a little secret…
Ready? Here goes…
You can’t do it all.
Say it with me now, you cannot do it all. You were never meant to do it all. And once you realize this, accept this, and truly internalize it, you will be freed from the idea of perfection and that ‘all or nothing‘ attitude.
But that’s not all. Because I’m also going to give you the exact formula I used to help me finally get the hang of this non-toxic lifestyle. And I know it’ll work for you because it worked for me and countless others just like you. And it’s still working for me every single day.
The Secret Formula to Create a Non-Toxic Home
After you’ve cleared your mind and accepted the fact that you just cannot do it all, here’s what you have to do to create a non-toxic home:
- Pick ONE area of your life that you want to focus on. Is it your cleaning products? Your bath products? Maybe your baby’s products?
- Now pick ONE product in that area that you want to find a safer alternative for. Is it your dish soap? Your shampoo? Your baby wipes?
- Decide if you’ll make it or buy it. Maybe you’re into DIY or on a tight budget and want to try your hand at homemade. Maybe you’re too strapped for time and would rather just buy it from the store. Maybe you choose to make it, but realize it’ll just be easier to buy it. Do what works best for you.
- Focus on that ONE product (and nothing else!) for as long as it takes for you to find a safer alternative that you’re truly happy with (or close enough).
- Then, and only then, do you move on to the next product/area that you want to change.
That’s it. That’s your secret formula.
So when you’re feeling overwhelmed, when you feel like there’s just not enough time to do it all, when you’re looking for direction on where to go next? Remember these two things:
You were never meant to do it all. So stop beating yourself up over it.
And follow the secret formula – ONE product in ONE area, before moving on to the next.
Here’s some inspiration for where to start:
- Make your own: Look through my non-toxic home and non-toxic body care posts for ideas on what products you might want to try making at home.
- Buy safer products: If you’d rather buy your products, look them up in the Environmental Working Group’s website. Look through their guide to healthy cleaning and their Skin Deep database for personal care products, and check out the ratings for the products you’re considering. They use a very simple A-F grading system based on rigorous safety standards.
- Ask for help: And of course, if you need further one-on-one help with anything, give me a shout through my contact page here. I would love to be able to help you on your journey to a non-toxic home.
So tell me, what ONE product in ONE area are you going to start with?
Leave me a comment and let me know!
Latest posts by Sarah UmmYusuf (see all)
- Make a Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution & Spray - October 17, 2017
- Non-Toxic Carpet Stain Remover Guide for (Almost) Any Stain! - October 15, 2017
- This Homemade Floor Cleaner Doubles as the BEST All-Purpose Cleaner! - August 19, 2017