Ahhh, vinegar. How I love you so! Used for centuries, you’re not only great in recipes, you’re also a natural disinfectant, a cleanser, and a health supplement as well! So versatile and yet so simple…So inexpensive and yet so useful…How many uses, let me count the ways…
Ok, ok so I’m no Shakespeare, but my love for vinegar and it’s awesomeness is no less true! You know how bananas are my favorite fruit? Well, I think vinegar has become my favorite cleaner. Here are my favorite ways to use vinegar around our home:
- Household Cleaners – Check out my post on Greener Household Cleaners for some great cleaning recipes! Everything from an all-purpose cleaner and glass cleaner, to a fruit/veggie wash and a drain cleaner.
- Fabric Softener – Just use a 1/4 – 1/2 cup in your machine’s rinse cycle for softer clothes and less detergent residue. Find out what else you can do to help freshen your laundry.
- Unglue stickers, decals, and price tags – Don’t you hate that? You buy something awesome only to be annoyed by that stubborn price sticker goo that just won’t come off! To remove, simply saturate the corners and sides of the sticker with full-strength white vinegar and carefully scrape it off (using an expired credit card or a plastic phone card). Remove any sticky remains by pouring on a bit more vinegar. Let it sit for a minute or two, and then wipe with a clean cloth.
- Clean your Microwave – To clean your microwave, place a glass bowl filled with a solution of 1/4 cup vinegar in 1 cup water inside, and microwave on high for five minutes. Once the bowl cools, dip a cloth or sponge into the liquid and use it to wipe away stains and splatters on the interior.
- Clean the Dishwasher – Place a cup filled with undiluted vinegar in the top rack of your dishwasher and run a cycle on the hottest setting. Do this once a month as maintenance.
- Clean Chicken & Tenderize Meat – My mom taught me this and I love it – thanks, Mom! Fill a large bowl or pot with cold water and add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar. Then place the chicken in the bowl and rub it all over, to scrub away any dirt or loose particles, and rinse under cold water. For tenderizing cuts of meat, just marinate it in vinegar overnight in the fridge – 1/4 cup vinegar for every 2 pounds of meat. It also kills any traces of bacteria!
- Dandruff Treatment – Make a solution with 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Before you shampoo, apply some of the mixture to your roots and gently massage it into your scalp in small circles. Try to really exfoliate the scalp to remove and loose flakes. Then, rinse out and shampoo as normal. Don’t worry, you won’t smell like a salad!
- Freshen Your Bathroom – Fill a spray bottle with a solution of 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1 cup water. Spray in the air to kill any odor-causing bacteria.
- Clean Your Coffee Pot – As simple as making a pot of coffee. Just use vinegar instead, then rinse out with water twice – Easy! Read more at this post from Everblossom.