Quick breads and muffins are 2 of my most favorite things ever! So when I saw this recipe over at Eat the Weeds, I knew I just had to try it! I made a few changes (really, when don’t I?), used muffin tins to bake them, and 25 minutes later, voila! – dandelion muffins!
Ehh, they’re not really muffins. They’re definitely very much on the bread side of things, but slap some raw honey across their cute little muffin-tops and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and you’ve got yourself a yummy mid-morning snack 🙂 …or an afternoon snack…or a midnight snack. Yeah, I’ve been snacking LOL 😉
I used raw honey and coconut oil to replace the honey and oil that’s called for in the recipe. I also added in some vanilla, cocoa powder, and coconut flakes for some texture and sweetness – excellent choice, if I do say so myself!
There’s really not much left to say about these, so I’ll let you peruse through the lovely pics…I think I spent more time photographing these than I did baking them LOL. Anyways, here you go… Enjoy!
This recipe is from a 2-part series on cooking with dandelions. For more info recipes, please visit:
Dandelions: Friend or Foe? Part 1 (Greens)
Dandelions: Friend or Foe? Part 2 (Flowers)
This recipe was adapted from here.
|Coconut Dandelion Blossom Muffins||
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dandelion petals, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl, including petals making sure to separate clumps of petals.
- In separate bowl mix together milk, honey, oil, and beaten egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mix. Batter should be fairly wet and lumpy.
- Pour into greased muffin tin, and bake at 400F for 20-25 mins, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. *For a bread loaf, bake for 25-30 mins and check for doneness. If still too moist, lower heat to 350F and check every 5 mins.
This post was shared here: Monday Mania, Just Another Meatless Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Mondays, My Meatless Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Foodie Friday
Where do you get dandelion petals?
In my backyard or nearby parks 🙂
Making these now, used organic strawberry syrup instead of honey and increased it to half a cup. So they are now straw berry coconut dandelion muffins 🙂
That sounds Awesome with a capital A, Morgen! I wish my dandelions hadn’t gone to seed yet, so I could try out that variation 🙂 Enjoy!
These articles and blogs are truly enough for me for a day.